Tuesday, April 14, 2009

quick word-vomit about segmenting of society and marketing

AdAge is a leading advertising industry magazine. Here's a little bit about what may become a greater trend in advertising: the increasing push of the utility of a product and less specific identification of the product with an identity.
The comments section is particularly fantastic, as it contains some great critique. My personal favorite is the one that says "you lost me at 'consumer generated media'", which says to me that the commenter is probably very confused by the MySpace. The next comment provides better commentary, saying that self-segmentation (such as the type Facebook uses for those little side-bar ads) are not the death of consumer segmentation, but considerably better than any focus group could be. He also says that what "marketers need to think about is how to encourage more consumers to share their preferences with marketers – replacing privacy concerns with a desire to receive more relevant and appealing marketing communications." Ew.

3 comments:

BriKi said...

"Big brother says I've been a bad girl, I've been a bad girl, don't know if that's true.
Even if he's right, ain't none of his business at all, ain't none of his business at all what I do.
Big brother says I'm acting crazy again, Big brother says all things are gonna end but I love you, like I love the sky."

Was that a weird enough response for you?

Skilletsnail said...

Lessig goes over this to an extent in Remix, I think from a different perspective. I like the comment by
Tom h. C. Anderson
Managing Partner
Anderson Analytics, LLC'

Kevin Horne

and

Michal Ann Strahilevitz, Ph.D.
Professor of Marketing
Golden Gate University

Also, on a related note, how do you think that affects the consumers identity? In my experience part of how people identify themselves is by the products they buy/use, or probably more importantly don't buy/use. If they continuely only focus on the self will it stagnate their growth (consumer or producer)? Just a thought.

courtle said...

crap, it's been a while since i've gotten back here, sorry guys.

@Brian: That was an awesome response. I dig.

@Chris: In some way, the self will always be defined in opposition to an "other." I'm not sure if it will ever result in the stagnation of the self, as even generationally we define ourselves in opposition to previous social movements and generations. For example, many of the current social movements (and in turn how people relate to each other, their identities) are in opposition to baby-boomer values. I think the further individuation results in driving a deeper schism between people in a culture, or more specifically ours. The outward spread of suburbia, equating personal independence from family with the all-American values of freedom and independence, and the breaking of the individual identity with the group all contribute to that kind of thing.