Tuesday, January 6, 2009

word vomit

Found Magazine is the illusion of intimacy combined with the thought that another person could find a glimpse into our lives as interesting as we do theirs, or even better, that millions of people could find us as interesting as we find ourselves.
(same as reality tv)
Ze Frank made an episode of The Show about it, but he is more for individualism (to be fair, so am I to an extent.) He also made an episode (and interactive project) about experimentation with aesthetics revolving around making your Myspace ugly.
According to this book I'm reading, Hello I'm Special: How Individuality Became the New Conformity by Hal Niedzviecki, it's all a symptom of our society pushing further toward "radical" individualism.
God, I made a bit of web-art about this last year...
thougts?
additions?

i wish this blog was more of a conversation...

3 comments:

BriKi said...

well, seeing as i haven't read any of Found Magazine or "Hello I'm Special," (and I don't think that many people either of us know have) its going to be hard to seminar on this one.
As far as Ze Frank goes, I am afraid of Myspace. Every time I go there, I am appalled by the page designs. That is radical individualism to me.
I am also unsure of Ze Frank's actual position on individualism, he really loved mocking those ugly Myspace pages. Then again, he said something about happy ugly that I didn't quite understand through my morning fog. More later?
Also, your web-art link is a post edit. Try again.

courtle said...

So many have read Found, but not "hello I'm Special." That one I don't expect people to have read though. But these aren't the only texts people should draw from.
But also my readership is very limited.

He didn't reall mock them though, it was an ironic appreciation of the ugliness as experimentation with aesthetics. I think that might have been lost in the morning fog maybe?

bah fuck link, i'll try again.

courtle said...

link fixed, art not spectacular (but there is a myspace-y picture of me)